Drunken Donuts; Fugly; Letter to the Editor of Tulsa World this time

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Mar 9 00:57:11 UTC 2005

DRUNKEN DONUTS (continued)

Maybe "drunken donuts" started here?

(FACTIVA)
FIRST: EATS
NOT JUST FOR COPS

RONALD B. LIEBER
227 words
Fortune Magazine
SPECIAL YEAR-END DOUBLE ISSUE/INVESTOR'S GUIDE 1997
32
Issue: DECEMBER 23, 1996 VOL. 134 NO. 12
English
(Copyright 1996)

Doughnuts have gone upscale. Don't worry, good old-fashioned varieties are still readily available at Dunkin' Donuts or Krispy Kreme. And the hosts at Lou Mitchell's in Chicago still serve the best doughnut holes on the planet, while beignets continue their reign at Cafe Du Monde in New Orleans. But now you can get Drunken Donuts (get it?) at Maloney & Porcelli, a new Manhattan steak house (not yet rated by Zagat), where the fritters are served with three kinds of liqueur-infused jam; at the French Laundry in Napa Valley, a dessert of doughnuts comes with "coffee"--a cup of rich frozen cappuccino pudding. All of the above are tasty and truly decadent. Just the way doughnuts should be.

--Ronald B. Lieber

FUGLY (continued)

Some "fugly" from Factiva and Worldcat. "Truckin' fugly" appears to be American.

(FACTIVA)
And the winners are not happy.

104 words
Courier-Mail
3
English
(c) 2003 Queensland Newspapers Pty Ltd

THEY are not as well known as the Logies, offer notoriety rather than prestige, and even their name lacks the dignity associated with Australia's night of nights.

But organisers of the Queensland-based Fugly awards have handed them out anyway, honouring personalities in categories you won't see at the Logies.

(OCLC WORLDCAT)
Title: F'ugly, faint clues and cunning tales /
Author(s): David, Scarlett Lynn.
Year: 1982
Language: English
Note(s): Typescript./ Dissertation: Thesis (M.A.W.)--Washington University, 1982. Dept. of English.
Responsibility: by Scarlett Lynn David.
Material Type: Thesis/dissertation (deg); Fiction (fic); Manuscript (mss)
Document Type: Book; Archival Material
Entry: 19820726
Update: 20040102
Accession No: OCLC: 8630832
Database: WorldCat

Title: Reviews :
timely twosome.
Author(s): Brannigan, Erin.
Year: 1998
In: Dance Australia. no. 94 (Feb./Mar. 1998), p. 63.
Language: English
 SUBJECT(S)
Named Person: Stewart, Garry.
Guerin, Lucy.
Named Corp: One Extra Dance Theatre (Company)
Note(s): Review of Remote, choreographed by Lucy Guerin, and Fugly, choreographed by Garry Stewart, performed by One Extra Company at Seymour Theatre Centre, November 1997.
Document Type: Article

Title: Nazis torture aliens underground Grinnell
Author(s): Preston, Bryan. ; Lind, Gregg.
Corp Author(s): Origamitron (Musical group)
Publication: [Grinnell, Iowa :; Bryan P.,
Year: 2000
Language: English
Contents: Molotov (theme) --; Like a hurricane of love /; Gregg Lind --; Fuck the dead (bit) --; Live seizure --; Yer mother's new car ;; Time is the enemy /; Gregg Lind --; ready.set.chaunce --; Cajun country car wreck --; Gastric revolution --; Personal space invasion /; Gregg Lind --; Fugly wattle bull --; Lovefeed --; Gobots on patrol in rural Guatemala.

Author(s): McIntosh, Grizz.
Corp Author(s): Grizzly Bear-with-me Press.
Publication: Wayne, NE : Grizzly Bear-with-Me Media,
Year: 2001
Language: English
Contents: The big $pending daydreams of a North American Grizz -- Virtuoso -- Ironclad lullaby -- Never a cowboy -- Motorvating -- The eleven miles between St. Edward and Genoa -- Moving 'til Monday -- Nickels in the well -- Truckin Fugly -- World is yellow -- Backseat Rita -- Cruising? -- Grease zerks and green apples: a fictional letter -- Heirlooms: a question of genetics -- West of the 100th meridian -- Oompunks and tailfins -- Ballad of Icarus -- Roots & all -- Schwartze -- Welcome to Nebraska -- Raging slab -- The last buffalo.

LETTER TO THE EDITOR OF TULSA WORLD (OR, "BIG APPLE WHORE HOAX" DAILY NEWS)

I'll let Gerald Cohen write this one. Of course, the mayor of New York City and some others could help me with this and get this guy's site off the web. But they promote it.

(FACTIVA)
OPINION
Historical facts
Staff Reports
219 words
Tulsa World
FINAL HOME EDITION
A18
English
Copyright (c) 2005 Bell & Howell Information and Learning Company. All rights reserved.

"The big what?" (Feb. 25) about the new campaign by New York City to call itself The World's Second Home ends by citing the current nickname, The Big Apple. The writer says: "Stick with 'The Big Apple.' It has more class."

I had to chuckle as I did a Google search on the origin of the nickname while teaching American Culture to my students at the Petroleum University of East China last year. The origin may have something to do with certain anatomical features of the ladies at a house of ill repute in the early days of the city.

I miss the Page 2 call-in feature the World dropped in January, but today the editorial page was as entertaining as that page ever was.

Linda Shindler, Ponca City

Letters to the editor are encouraged. Each letter must be signed and include an address and a telephone number where the writer can be reached during business hours. Addresses and phone numbers will not be published. Letters should be a maximum of 200 words to be considered for publication and may be edited for length, style and grammar. Letters should be addressed to Letters to the Editor, Tulsa World, Box 1770, Tulsa, Okla., 74102, or send e-mail to letters at tulsaworld.com.