"Here, there and Everywhere" (1826)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Mar 9 01:50:54 UTC 2005

Again, Google Answers made $2 more than a query here. Yes, Mark Twain coined this.

(GOOGLE ANSWERS)
Question:
http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=486954
Was "Here, There, and Everywhere." a popular expression before it became the
title of a Beatles song? If yes, what is the origin of the phrase?

FYI - I'm posting the same question re: "The Long and Winding Road."

Answer:
Greetings Whatda,

The earliest instance I located of the words together in the order you
cite is from Chapter 5 of Mark Twain's "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer"
published 130 years ago, in 1875:
(...)

(LITERATURE ONLINE)
Shelley, Mary Wollstonecraft, 1797-1851 [Author Page]
The Last Man (1826)  1087Kb
The Last Man. By the Author of Frankenstein. In Three Volumes   [Durable URL for this text]
Found 1 hit(s):
VOL. III.   [Durable URL for this text]
CHAPTER IX.   [Durable URL for this text]
...at his feet. What to do we knew not---the breakers here, there, everywhere, encompassed us---they roared, and dashed, and flung their...

Davis, Charles Augustus, 1795-1867 [Author Page]
Letters of J. Downing, Major [pseud.], Downingville Militia, Second Brigade, to His Old Friend, Mr. Dwight, of the New York Daily Advertiser. (1834)  401Kb
Letters of J. Downing, Major [pseud.], Downingville Militia, Second Brigade, to His Old Friend, Mr. Dwight, of the New York Daily Advertiser.   [Durable URL for this text]
Found 1 hit(s):
Main text   [Durable URL for this text]
LETTER XIX.   [Durable URL for this text]
...that ain't the worst on't,' says I, `our money is here, there, and everywhere; and I don't see how we shall...

Thomas, Frederick W. (Frederick William), 1806-1866 [Author Page]
Clinton Bradshaw; or, The Adventures of a Lawyer, Volume 1 (1835)  636Kb
Clinton Bradshaw; or, The Adventures of a Lawyer, volume 1   [Durable URL for this text]
Found 1 hit(s):
Main text   [Durable URL for this text]
CHAPTER VI.   [Durable URL for this text]
...study for your office; study as you walk the streets, here, there, everywhere. I do not mean that you should lose...

Gore, Mrs. (Catherine Grace Frances), 1799-1861 [Author Page]
Mrs. Armytage (1836)  975Kb
Mrs. Armytage; or, Female Domination. By the Authoress of "Mothers and Daughters." In Three Volumes.   [Durable URL for this text]
Found 1 hit(s):
VOL. I.   [Durable URL for this text]
CHAPTER XII.   [Durable URL for this text]
...the old borough; at the tag end of the poll, here, there, and everywhere! You understand me?" "Sir!" cried Reginald, in...

Simms, William Gilmore, 1806-1870 [Author Page]
Mellichampe: A Legend of the Santee, Volume 1 (1836)  488Kb
Mellichampe: A Legend of the Santee, Volume 1   [Durable URL for this text]
Found 1 hit(s):
Main text   [Durable URL for this text]
CHAPTER IV.   [Durable URL for this text]
...parts lately, have you?" inquired Blonay. "Dang it, stranger, they're here, there, and everywhere: they're never long missing from any one...

Morris, George Pope, 1802-1864 [Author Page]
The Little Frenchman and His Water Lots, with Other Sketches of the Times (1839)  199Kb
The Little Frenchman and His Water Lots, with Other Sketches of the Times   [Durable URL for this text]
Found 1 hit(s):
Main text   [Durable URL for this text]
MR. BEVERLEY LEE.   [Durable URL for this text]
...wonderful still, a sort of magical ubiquity, for he was here, there, and everywhere at the same time. At one moment...

Stuart-Wortley, Emmeline, Lady, 1806-1855 [Author Page]
Alphonzo Algarves (1841)  401Kb
ALPHONZO ALGARVES. A PLAY IN FIVE ACTS.   [Durable URL for this text]
Found 1 hit(s):
Main text   [Durable URL for this text]
ACT IV.   [Durable URL for this text]
Scene I.   [Durable URL for this text]
...movement---) A winged Ubiquity---an Omnipresence--- Here, there, and everywhere!--- [Stage direction] ...

Dickens, Charles, 1812-1870 [Author Page]
Dombey and Son (1848)  2186Kb
Dombey and Son. By Charles Dickens. With Illustrations by H. K. Browne   [Durable URL for this text]
Found 1 hit(s):
CHAPTER XXV. STRANGE NEWS OF UNCLE SOL.   [Durable URL for this text]
...shipping, on the bank-side, up the river, down the river, here, there, everywhere, it went gleaming where men were thickest, like...