COKE in the M aryland

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Mar 9 04:40:44 UTC 2005

At 5:22 AM -0800 3/8/05, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>What could be more passe' sounding than "pot" and "weed"?  Oh, I
>know ! "Grass."
>
>JL

Isn't "pot" sort of like "cool", a slang item that's evolved into the
standard lexical item for that particular meaning while still
retaining its colloquial status (as opposed to "marijuana")?  I guess
(although I didn't know it before David's post and my field research)
"dope" turns out to be more like the other shorter-lived in-group
labels that cycle through.  I'm not sure whether "weed" is more like
"pot" and "cool", or (more likely?) a formerly moribund item like
"dope" that has been revived, for whatever reason.  Could be there's
a regional flavoring, and perhaps there are movies, TV shows, etc.
that influence usage on this.  Now I'm wondering which of the
categories "grass" is in.  For me, "weed" sounds dated (= stuck in a
particular past time) in a way that "pot" and "grass" don't, but it's
not just my daughter's datum that informs my knowledge of its
revival.  My son was in a dorm (oops, excuse me, residence hall)
during his freshman year (2001) that is officially named Wilmarth
Hall, but which is known informally as "Weedmart".