Fwd: if you're ever looking for a new project

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIOU.EDU
Thu Mar 10 16:46:35 UTC 2005

At 11:12 AM 3/10/2005, you wrote:
>At 7:50 AM -0800 3/10/05, Arnold M. Zwicky wrote:
>>from an undergrad student of mine.  any sightings or citings?  (or, for
>>that matter, sitings?)
>>
>>not in our archives...
>>
>>Begin forwarded message:
>>>
>>>this goes back to middle school (i remember it saying it then)
>>>
>>>recently, i've noticed that a lot of people have been saying 'isht'
>>>instead of  'shit'. a google search brings up phrases like 'do not
>>>read this boring isht', 'old isht', 'becca's page of random isht!',
>>>and, my favorite, 'weird isht i feel like posting whilst st0ned!' .
>>>it's difficult to just do a google search of this phrase because there
>>>is at least one organization that uses the acronym ISHT for its name.
>>>is the use of this phrase documented at all?
>
>Haven't heard "isht", but I've been getting "ish" for "shit" every
>year on my students' slang compilations.  Could the former be a
>cluster-simplified version of the former?
>

>Larry

"Ish" as an exclamation of disgust has been around a long time, at least in
the frozen North of Minnesota; other regions use "ick" or "yuck," I
believe.  But "ish" as a noun is new to me, assuming that's what Larry and
Grant are suggesting.