Collegiate "geek" in the '70s (was Re: Synonymy avoidance)

Michael McKernan mckernan at LOCALNET.COM
Fri Mar 11 10:07:12 UTC 2005

Jonathan Lighterwrote:

>Sorry, but "dork" never means "guy who bites heads off live chickens" and
>"geek" often does.

Often?  Historically, of course, I would agree.  But today, in 'natural
speech', I would suppose that 'often' would be a gross exaggeration, and
that the great majority of speakers/writers using geek have no idea about
the chicken bit.

But perhaps I'm wrong, I've been so before...

And I'm still wondering why no one has chimed in with a positive definition
or other comment on dork.  Is the word just too dorky?

I actually don't have any personal stake in the meaning of geek, dork,
nerd; and it may well be that the geek/nerd pair has a greater affinity due
to a tendency to elevate them into positive status (which AFAIK, dork does
lack).

Still, I find the trio quite interesting, especially since I've just
experienced their appearance as a duo/trio in a Vonage online advertisement
(as partially noted in my original post).  My curiousity, however, need not
match anyone else's, though I'll match my ignorance against all comers...

Michael McKernan