Collegiate "geek" in the '70s (was Re: Synonymy avoidance)

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Fri Mar 11 16:13:14 UTC 2005

The "exact synonymy" rule surely applies to varieties, not languages.
"Ya'll" and "you guys" appear to be exact synonyms in the fiction
called "English," but they don't co-exist in one brain (except for
bidialectal speakers), although bidialectal speakers are quick to
begin to make distinctions, as I do now for "greazy" and "greasy."
"Greazy" is really greasy, "greasy" is lightly and delicately oiled.

Remember, there are no such real things as languages.

dInIs (who is happy to admit them as social constructs of enormous importance)

--
Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor