GREAZY and GREASY

Fri Mar 11 16:31:31 UTC 2005

I have known about the greasy/greazy distinction, but this is the first time
that I have even heard GREASY defined this way. I have always heard it framed
as, in essence, GREASY is unpleasantly covered with grease or oil, and GREAZY
is much much worse.

I can't imagine going into a restaurant anywhere in the country and asking,
"Is your food greasy?" and getting a positive response.

"If you want greasy food, come to our restaurant?" No.

"I liked the fish because it was greasy." Only if you like a lot of oil on
your food.

I guess one might write a recipe in which one said something like, "Use
enough butter on the baked potato that it is slightly greasy," but I could not say
that without the "slightly."

Is DInIs alone in this, or am I behind the greasy/greazy curve.