Napkins and serviettes

sagehen sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM
Sat Mar 12 20:30:16 UTC 2005

>My grandmother (born 1920s, Northern England) only says 'serviette' for the
>thing you use at table.  My impression is that 'serviette' for that is in
>general falling out of use in Britain, just as someone said about Canada,
>since
>the use didn't really take in my family after her, but I am still perfectly
>familiar with the word.
>
>Damien Hall
>Universityof Pennsylvania
~~~~~~~~~~
I would be very surprised to hear anyone actually say "serviette" in the
states.  It was an unknown expression to me when I first noticed it (fifty
years ago) in Fowler's list of genteelisms that he was recommending
"normal" replacements for.
I have heard it in the UK, but don't ever remember hearing it in France.
(I don't really see why "napkin" should be avoided in UK, anyway, since
what we call "diapers" are usually called "nappies" over there.)

On the other thread, I'm a GREASY speaker & GREAZY makes me feel quite queasy.
AM