Dork

Michael McKernan mckernan at LOCALNET.COM
Sat Mar 12 22:53:21 UTC 2005

Jonathan Lighter wrote:

>My powerful theoretical argument in this case is "What I say goes."
>
>This appears to be similar to the theory that informs your own position.
>Frankly I would prefer to be called a geek or a nerd rather than a dork,
>though certainly I have been called all three, particularly after blind
>dates.
>
>Shall we step outside to settle this ?

If the google data I just posted are anything like a reliable portrait of
current speech practices, then it seems that if you can claim computer
status, you're just about 100 times more likely to be called a 'computer
geek' than a 'computer dork.'  For nerd, the ratio drops to just under 33
times more likely than dork.

Hope this soothes the cyberwaters, since it's snowing rather hard, outside
here.

Michael McKernan