"Monday's Child" (1836)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Mar 12 23:00:10 UTC 2005

The "Monday's child is fair in face..." poem has been discussed on the
American Name Society list. I don't know what Fred Shapiro (Yale Dictionary of
Quotations) will have, but the Oxford Dictionary of Quotations has A. E. Bray, from
1838. I found the same author's work, dated 1836; unfortunately, I couldn't
find any earlier. I looked all over "children's poetry" of this period.
(GOOGLE)
Friday's Child at Everything2.com
... Monday's child is fair of face Tuesday's child is full of grace
Wednesday's child
is full ... I could find cites Traditions of Devonshire (AE Bray), 1838
(which is ...
www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=847519 - 23k - Cached - Similar pages
(GOOGLE GROUPS)
first day of the week [WAS: A Language Puzzle]
... Monday's child is fair of face, Tuesday's child is full of grace,
Wednesday's child
is ... The earliest version they knew of was 1838, and instead of 'the
Sabbath ...
alt.english.usage - Jun 22 2001, 3:10 pm by Donna Richoux - 277 messages - 77
authors
A DESCRIPTION
OF THE
PART OF DEVONSHIRE
BORDERING ON
THE TAMY AND THE TAVY;
ITS
NATURAL HISTORY,
MANNERS, CUSTOMS, SUPERSTITIONS, SCENERY, ANTIQUITIES,
BIOGRAPHY OF EMINENT PERSONS,
&c. &c.
IN A SERIES OF LETTERS TO
ROBERT SOUTHEY, ESQ.

BY MRS. BRAY

IN THREE VOLUMES.--VOL.II

LONDON:
JOHN MURRAY, ALBEMARLE STREET
MDCCCXXXVI. (1836--ed.)
Pg. 287:
The fortunes of children are likewise considered to be very much regulated by
the day on which they were born. Here is a poetical adage on the subject
common in our town:--

"Monday's child is fair in face,
Tuesday's child is full of grace,
Wednesday's child is full of woe,
Thursday's child has far to go,

Pg. 288:
Friday's child is loving and giving,
Saturday's child works hard for its living;
And a child that's born on a Christmas day,
Is fair and wise, good and gay."