substitute for = replace with

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Mar 12 23:14:15 UTC 2005

Here's another example of this usage, which I continue to find curious.

Karen Spears Zacharias, the author of "Hero Mama" (N.Y.: Morrow, 2004), is in her mid-40s and grew up in Kingsport, Tennessee.  During an appearance at The New School for Social Research on Jan. 26, she said the following about her mother:

"She made bad decisions....She substituted intimacy for sex."

Zacharias "meant" just the opposite.

A tape of her appearance is showing this weekend on BookTV.

JL