Polly Wolly Doodle (1883); Ham 'n' Eggs

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Mar 13 03:31:56 UTC 2005

I looked at the Tennessee Folklore Society Bulletin and Polly Wolly Doodle all day.

POLLY WOLLY DOODLE

Again, a folk song that seems to just come from nowhere. Maybe the next HDAS will have "polly wolly doodle."

April 1939, Tennessee Folklore Society Bulletin, vol. V, no. 2, pg. 41:
Polly Wally Doodle
(...)
Pg. 42:
Oh, I went down south for to see my Sal,
Sing Polly wally doodle all the day,
My Sally is a spunky gal,
Sing Polly wally doodle all the day.
CHORUS
Fare thee well, fare thee well,
Fare thee well my fairy fay,
For I'm going to Louisiana,
For to see my Susy Anna,
Sing Polly wally doodle all the day.

(GOOGLE)
http://www.sois.uwm.edu/dl/sheet_music_site/Composer_bio_page.htm
Hills, William H.
1859-1930
Compiler of popular songs. Published Student Songs (1881) which included My Bonnie. His third edition published in 1883 contained Polly Wolly Doodle and There is a Tavern in the Town.

(GOOGLE)
Shirley Temple: Polly Wolly Doodle
Shirley Temple. Song Lyrics. Polly Wolly Doodle (Littlest Rebel 1935).
Lyrics/Music S.Clare & B.DeSylva. Picture: Original Sheet Music ...
www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Hills/8038/1polywol.htm - 5k - Cached - Similar pages

(OCLC WORLDCAT)
Title: College songs :
a collection of new and popular songs of the American colleges /
Author(s): Waite, Henry Randall,; 1845-1909.
Publication: Boston :; Oliver Ditson,
Edition: New and enl. ed.
Year: 1887
Language: English
Music Type: Songs
Contents: A-roving -- Alma mater O -- Angel Gabriel -- Ba-be-bi-bo-bu -- Bavarian yodel -- Bingo (As sung at Brown) -- Bingo (marching song) -- The bold fisherman -- Bring back my Bonnie to me -- The bull-dog -- Carve dat possum -- Clementine -- The chapel -- Co-ca-che-lunk -- Constantinople -- Crambambuli -- Crow song -- The Dutch company -- Dutch warbler -- Emmet's lullaby -- Fair Harvard -- Farewell for ever -- Forsaken -- Finiculi, finicula -- De golden wedding -- Good-night, ladies -- Go down, Moses -- Golden slippers -- Good-bye, my lover, good-bye -- I'll hear the trumpet sound -- In the morning by the bright light -- The Irish christening -- It's a way we have at Old Harvard -- Jilted -- Jingle Bells -- The Lauterbach maiden -- Maiden of the fleur de lys -- Mary had a little lamb -- Mary and Martha -- McSorley's twins -- Meerschaum pipe.; A merry heart -- Michael Roy -- Mush, mush -- More and more -- Nellie was a lady -- Oh, dem golden slippers -- Oh, my darling Clementine -- Old Noah he did build an ark -- Over the bannister -- Owl and the pussy cat -- Paddy Duffy's cat -- Polly-wolly-doodle -- Peanut song -- The quilting party -- Rig-a-jig -- Roll, Jordan, roll -- Rosalie -- Rumsty ho! -- Serenade -- Shool -- Soldier's farewell -- Solomon Levi -- The Spanish cavalier -- Steal away -- Swing low, sweet chariot -- There is a tavern in the town -- There is music in the air -- Thou art my own love -- Three crows -- Troubadour song -- To the bravest -- Turn back Pharaoh's army -- The two roses -- Upidee -- Uralio -- Vive l'amour -- The waterfall -- Way up on the mountain-top-tip-top -- What beams so bright -- Where would I be -- The young lover.

HAM 'N' EGGS

I couldn't find anything else on this one. Songs about food are of interest to me.

October 1940, Tennessee Folklore Society Bulletin, vol. VI, no. 3, pg. 39:

Ham 'n' Eggs

Mrs. Schaupp says that this song was sung by several boys in the Nebraska State Reformatory for men. "They said it was sung in prisons all over the country. There is also a verse on the sewing-machine, which none of them could remember, so they used to substitute the word 'sewing-machine'in the second stanza."

The melody of this song is the same as that used as the theme song of the radio program advertising Barbasol. This program, I believe, was not started until several years after Mrs. Schaupp learned the song in 1923.

Ham 'n' eggs, ham 'n' eggs,
I like my ham fried good an' brown,
I like my eggs turned up-side down.
Ham 'n' eggs, ham 'n' eggs,
Flip 'em, flop 'em,
Better not drop 'em,
Ham 'n' eggs.

Automobile, automobile,
Automobile, she run so fas',
Can't see nothin' but a pane o' glass,
Automobile, auotmobile,
Unk-cu-cu-cuk-chuck, unk-cu-cu-cuk-chuck,
Automobile.