Dialects in film & tv

Beth Simon simon at IPFW.EDU
Sun Mar 13 19:36:38 UTC 2005

(not as interesting as brad pitt and trojans, but)

australian simon baker did a great disengaged
educated-but-who-knows-where american english in the cancelled The
Guardian

beth lee simon, ph.d.
associate professor, linguistics and english
indiana university purdue university
fort wayne, in 46805-1499
u.s.
voice (011) 260 481 6761; fax (011) 260 481 6985
email simon at ipfw.edu

>>> mamandel at LDC.UPENN.EDU 3/13/2005 2:23 PM >>>
FRITZ JUENGLING <juengling_fritz at SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US>

>>> flanigan at OHIOU.EDU 02/21/05 03:56PM >>> wrote:

And was Brad Pitt supposed to sound Greek or Trojan?! (I never saw the
movie, thankfully!)

<<<

Fritz commented:

>How would anyone know? --What does (did) a Trojan sound like?

<<<

Which reminds me of a quote I've had in my pocket for a while:

"New York City suffered a 17 percent spike in new HIV infections among
gay
men over three years.

[PARAGRAPH] Some of this increase can be traced to simple condom
fatigue."

        Philadelphia Weekly, Feb. 9-15, 2005
        cover story; page 14, column 4, about halfway down.

meaning apparently 'people's being tired of using condoms and
therefore
having sex without one', not 'condoms' wearing out through material
overuse
[one hopes not!] or aging [conceivable... I didn't say that]'.

mark by hand