FWIW: "Mungo" Park

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Mar 13 21:11:41 UTC 2005

Yes, as I said, Grant Barrett found "mungo" in the 1930s, which is earlier
than 1963.
I'd posted on "Don't go Mungo Park." That name might be a little obscure  for
1930s Brooklyn, though.
     _Indiana Weekly Messenger _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=ssVO2f5ZuruKID/6NLMW2plb+6roubvoyhiDrKEsRTgZ5yinP7EMQEIF+CsZYmrz)
Wednesday, May 22, 1907 _Indiana,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:indiana+called+mungo)  _Pennsylvania_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:pennsylvania+called+mungo)      ...and I'll tell you
why this  stuff was CALLED MUNGO. "Park, after making up a.....vigor  that in
gratitude to the tree be CALLED it cahuah, which in  Arabia..
Pg. 6?, col. 3:
_"MUNGO" PARK._

_The Worse Than Shoddy Fabric That_
_Gave Him His Name._
The old lady listened complacently to the compliments on her new  gown.

"Well, at any rate," she said as she smoothed the lustrous folds, "it isn't
made of mungo."

"Mungo? What is mungo?" asked he niece.

"Have you never heard of Mungo Park?" said the old lady.

"Yes, I think I have. I don't know what I've heard, though."

"Well, I'll tell you. Mungo Park was an Englishman, and he lived at the  time
when shoddy was invented. He invented a stuff that was far worse than
shoddy--a stuff beside which shoddy was fine, new wool--and I'll tell you why  this
stuff was called mungo.

"Park, after making up a batch of it out of shoddy dust and grease, gave it
anxiously to his carder to card.

"The carder tried it. Then he sent for the boss.

"'This new stock of yours won't go, Mr. Park,' he said.

"'Mun go,' said the other in his Yorkshire dialect. 'It mun go, man.'

"And go it did, and thus Park got his name, and thus that abominable stock
that he invented came to get the name of mungo."--New Orleans  Times-Democrat.
     _News Journal _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=WIIwbfg7DKmKID/6NLMW2lZGfn0gEuCvEBE7O5GayLlDf+dDR6BGN0IF+CsZYmrz)  Sunday, July 26,
1970 _Mansfield,_ (http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:m
ansfield+called+mungo)  _Ohio_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:ohio+called+mungo)
...back in the 1930's and  1940's who CALLED MUNGO names in stronger
terms.....It's  about a new record released CALLED "The Saga of Van Lingle  MUNGO..

_Saga of Van Lingle Mungo_

_A Folk Song of Sorts_