"All dressed up and no place to go" (1913)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Mar 14 04:51:53 UTC 2005

HERE COME THE JUDGE--I don't know if I had made it clear, but I had posted that citation because it states that Markham used it in 1928. I believe that it is earlier and pre-Pigmeat.

The American Heritage Dictionary of Quotations has "All dressed up with nowhere to go" from William Allen White, 1916. Meatloaf sang that lyric as well, in the 1970s.

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
News of the Theaters.; "The Red Canary" Is Quite Worth While.
PERCY HAMMOND. Chicago Daily Tribune (1872-1963). Chicago, Ill.: Oct 21, 1913. p. 10 (1 page):
"All Dressed Up and No Place to Go" is the title of Raymond Hitchock's comic lamentation this season in "The Beauty Shop"

THE CATERPILLAR.
GEORGE FITCH. The Atlanta Constitution (1881-2001). Atlanta, Ga.: Mar 18, 1914. p. 4 (1 page):
As a matter of fact, the caterpillar is all dressed up and has nowhere to go.

"All Dressed Up and No Place to Go--" Did That Song Writer Ever Live Here?; We Need a Place to Rest, a Place to Laugh and Frolic
Isma Dooly. The Atlanta Constitution (1881-2001). Atlanta, Ga.: Apr 4, 1915. p. C3 (1 page)