Query: Origin of "oops"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Mar 15 15:26:45 UTC 2005

Well, that seems pretty convincing, or at least plausible.  Speaking
of "oops", does anyone have anything on the first cites of "uh-oh",
the "interjection expressing alarm, foreboding, or dismay", as the
AHD puts it?  There's no OED entry for ":uh-oh" at all, which is
pretty remarkable considering its frequency--as a rough index, for
example, there are 749,000 google hits.

Larry