Gook (???) (1912) -- Goo-goo

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Mar 17 00:26:40 UTC 2005

The near global application of "gook" was full-blown by 1945 among overseas service personnel in the Pacific, Africa, and Southern Europe. Basically it meant "native." Since the Vietnam War this broad sense seems to have declined in favor.

JL

Wilson Gray <wilson.gray at RCN.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Wilson Gray
Subject: Re: Gook (???) (1912) -- Goo-goo

Thanks, Doug. So, "gook" rather coincides with "wog." In my youth,
Aussie friends applied the latter term to anyone who wasn't
sufficiently fair-skinned as to merit inclusion into the WASPocracy,
yet not so dark-skinned as to be considered a nigger. Hence, "wog"
was applied to Southern Europeans of all nationalities, Asians,
Indian Indians, etc., unless such a person's speech revealed him to
be an American. In that case, all bets were off.

-Wilson Gray