Irish Toasts & the Internet

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Mar 17 00:50:43 UTC 2005

At least for now, shouldn't that be " ' Irish'  toasts " ?

JL

Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Bapopik at AOL.COM
Subject: Irish Toasts & the Internet

The local Metro newspaper has some Irish toasts from _www.stpatricksday.com_
(http://www.stpatricksday.com) . There are many sites of Irish toasts; it
seems they all share/steal the same ones. There are no dates or attributions, of
course. I'll look for a selected few, by request.
Is Fred Shapiro considering any?
_http://www.irishmillinn.com/toasts1.htm_
(http://www.irishmillinn.com/toasts1.htm)
_http://www.najapan.com/brown/IrishToasts.html_
(http://www.najapan.com/brown/IrishToasts.html)
_http://www.fionasplace.net/AnIrishPatchwork/Irishsayingsandblessings.html_
(http://www.fionasplace.net/AnIrishPatchwork/Irishsayingsandblessings.html)
_http://www.luquette.org/inspire/irish_blessings.htm_
(http://www.luquette.org/inspire/irish_blessings.htm)

_http://www.stpatricksday.com/2002/index-en.html_
(http://www.stpatricksday.com/2002/index-en.html)
If you're lucky enough to be Irish, you're lucky enough!
IF YOU'RE LUCKY ENOUGH TO BE IRISH--419 Google hits
May the wind at your back always be your own.
MAY THE WIND AT YOUR BACK ALWAYS BE YOUR OWN--83 Google hits
May you be in heaven 1/2 hour before the devil knows you're dead.
HEAVEN + HOUR + DEVIL KNOWS + DEAD--9,790 Google hits
As you slide down the banisters of life may the splinters never point the
wrong way.
BANISTERS OF LIFE + SPLINTERS--1,180 Google hits
May your troubles be as few and as far apart as my Grandmother's teeth.
TROUBLES + GRANDMOTHER'S TEETH--180 Google hits
In Heaven there is no beer, that is why we drink it here.
IN HEAVEN THERE IS NO BEER--6,260 Google hits
I drink to your health when I'm with you,
I drink to your health when I'm alone
I drink to your health so often,
I'm starting to worry about my own.
DRINK TO YOUR HEALTH + MY OWN--785 Google hits
I've drunk to your health in the pubs,
I've drunk to your health in my home,
I've drunk to your health so many times,
That I've almost ruined my own.
DRUNK TO YOUR HEALTH + MY OWN--41 Google hits
Here's good luck to my wife's husband!
GOOD LUCK TO MY WIFE'S HUSBAND--1 Google hit
Here's to our wives and sweethearts!! May they never meet!!
OUR WIVES AND SWEETHEARTS + NEVER MEET--322 Google hits
May the roof above us never fall in, and may we friends gathered below never
fall out.
ROOF + FALL IN + NEVER FALL OUT--2,550 Google hits
May your neighbors respect you,
Troubles neglect you,
The angels protect you,
And Heaven accept you.
RESPECT YOU + HEAVEN ACCEPT YOU--1,280 Google hits
I have known many
liked not a few
loved only one
so this toast's for you.
LOVED ONLY ONE + THIS TOAST'S FOR YOU--6 Google hits
Here's to you, here's to me, the best of friends we'll always be. But if we
ever disagree, forget you here's to ME!!
HERE'S TO YOU + HERE'S TO ME--522 Google hits
Ireland - it's the one place on earth
Heaven has kissed,
with melody, mirth, meadow and mist.
IRELAND + MELODY + MIRTH + MEADOW + MIST--541 Google hits
may you have the hindsight to know where you've been
the insight to know where you are
and the foresight to know when you're going too far
HINDSIGHT + WHERE YOU'VE BEEN + FORESIGHT + TOO FAR--668 Google hits
my the grass grow long on the road to hell for want of use
GRASS GROW LONG + ROAD TO HELL--182 Google hits
my the best day of your past be the worst day of your future
BEST DAY OF YOUR PAST + WORST DAY OF YOUR FUTURE--817 Google hits
May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live.
LIVE AS LONG AS YOU WANT + AS LONG AS YOU LIVE--672 Google hits
May your home always be too small to hold all your friends.
MAY YOUR HOME + TOO SMALL + FRIENDS--769 Google hits
May you have warm words on a cold evening, a full moon on a dark night, and
the road downhill all the way to your door.
WARM WORD ON A COLD--2,180 Google hits