twat+oogle

James C Stalker stalker at MSU.EDU
Thu Mar 17 02:38:04 UTC 2005

Geez.  You assume that everyone knows what oogle means and how to pronounce
it, and are you surprised!  That’s what I like about language.  I would
suggest a consult of the HDAS, vol 2, p. 723., where we find “oogle”
with this note: [for the alt. in vowel quality, cf. earlier GONEY and
GOONEY] OGLE.  The previous comments suggest that there might be a
geographic or sociolinguistic distribution, or an intersection of the two.
Maybe someone is looking for a dissertation topic?

Eric’s suggestion that “gucken” ‘to peep’ might be an etymological
source is interesting as well.

I think I’ll go check out a few Yiddish sites.

JCS

Johnni Wuest writes:

James C. Stalker
Department of English