Heads I win, tails you lose; Winning is best deodorant

bapopik at AOL.COM bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Mar 17 03:18:25 UTC 2005

HEADS I WIN, TAILS YOU LOSE

(ADS-L ARCHIVES)
1835:   In relation to the [stock] brokers, we fear it has been "heads
I win – tails you lose"
        Evening Star, January 17, 1835, p. 2, col. 3

I see in the OED, sense 3b, under Head, noun, citations giving this
phrase from 1846 and 1907, both English.  Whiting's Early American
Proverbs has it from 1814.

GAT

(EARLY AMERICAN NEWSPAPERS)
The National Intelligencer and Washington Advertiser, 2 September 1805, pg. 2, col. 3:
As to the speculators from the south, they had the advantage in the toss up; they said heads, I win, tails, you lose; they could not lose any thing for they had nothing at stake.

WINNING IS THE BEST DEODORANT

(FACTIVA)
SPORTS
BOMBERS CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO WIN TIME RUNNING OUT IN ANSWER SEARCH
Marc Katz DAYTON DAILY NEWS
1,168 words
Dayton Daily News
CITY
1D
English
(Copyright 1994) SPORTS
(...)
"When you're winning, you're not worried about anything," Derek Donald said. "When you're winning, you don't look for anything. When you're losing, you look for something.
"Winning is the best deodorant. It covers up everything."

(FACTIVA)
NATIONAL
My, how Bucs' fortunes change
ERNEST HOOPER
845 words
St. Petersburg Times
0 SOUTH PINELLAS
1A
English
(Copyright 1997)

Football analyst and former NFL coach John Madden loves to say winning is the best deodorant.