No slang name for Euro?

Damien Hall halldj at BABEL.LING.UPENN.EDU
Thu Mar 17 17:24:11 UTC 2005

Someone (Orin Hargraves?  All I have is 'O.') wrote that Italians had started to
use *neuri* / *pleuri* for 'Euros'.  That reminded me that I once heard *neuros*
myself in France.  As it did for Orin, a Google search reveals what I would also
call 'some frequency':  there were some hits for both *neuro* and *neuros* as
currency, though you have to just look at all the results to know whether the
hit is on a reference to money or a ref to the prefix *neuro-*, which means the
same as it does in English.  The French nominalisation *neuro* is also a slang
term for 'neurotic (n.)', or something like that.  *Neuro* for money was much
commoner in Google Groups than in websites.

I once also asked whether *balles* ('(small) ball, bullet'), the slang term that
the French had for francs, had been or could be transferred to euros.  The
emphatic answer was 'No', and a Google search confirms that.  I *have* heard
*balles* used since the introduction of the euro, but it still referred to
francs:  it was being used by people who still preferred to give monetary
values in francs, not having got used to the new-fangled money.

Examples of *neuros* from Google Groups below.

Damien Hall
University of Pennsylvania

===============================

 les neuros ?

Subject: [QUEST] les neuros ?

Dans mes messages vers les newsgroup le sigle ? (Euro) devient ? à la
lecture.
z'avez une explication ? Solution ?
Merci

Fixed font - Proportional font

 Ati rage pro 32 mo==> 18 neuros
Only 1 message in topic - view as tree

jude      Apr 3 2003, 2:12 am     show options