looper

Thu Mar 17 22:09:30 UTC 2005

looper (n.) a golfing caddy -- not in HDAS nor OED

Caddyshack [film] written by Harold Ramis, Brian Doyle-Murray, Douglas
Kenney, directed by Harold Ramis with improvised dialog by Bill Murray.
1980
"So I jump ship in Hong Kong and make my way over to Tibet, and I get on
as a looper at a course over in the Himalayas. A looper, you know, a
caddy, a looper, a jock. So, I tell them I'm a pro jock, and who do you
think they give me? The Dalai Lama, himself. Twelfth son of the Lama.
The flowing robes, the grace, bald... striking. So, I'm on the first tee
with him. I give him the driver. He hauls off and whacks one - big
hitter, the Lama - long, into a ten-thousand foot crevasse, right at the
base of this glacier. Do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga...
gunga, gunga-galunga. So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff
me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know,
for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any
money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total
consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. "

ERIC SEAVALL TAKES LEAD IN GOLF TOURNEY
FRANK FINCH
Los Angeles Times; Dec 23, 1935;  pg. 17 [quote from p. 19, col 3]
"George Beer was the only caddy to qualify for the finals and now is
hailed as the idol of the loopers."

THE LOCKER ROOM
CHARLES BARTLETT
Chicago Daily Tribune; Jul 14, 1957; pg. A5 col. 2
"He won this same C. D. G. A. caddie title in 1924 as a looper from
Ravisloe."

"The Caddyshack Revisited," James T. Mulder, Syracuse Herald American,
1984-05-27  p. L1 col. 2
"In golf parlance, caddies are called "loopers," because they're paid to
walk the loop, or circuit, of holes that make up a golf course."
[later in article, p. L-2 col 5]
"The retired looper laments the decline of his profession."