"come-to-Jesus meeting"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Mar 18 03:54:51 UTC 2005

Wilson, you gotta fight for your right to party !  If the 'snappers scorn you for living in the past, it's 'cause there ain't nothin' goin' on in the present !

Me, I'm going to put "The Flyin' Purple People Eater" on the hi-fi, watch "And God Created Woman" one more time, and finish up with a tape of Don Larson's perfect game..

JL
Wilson Gray <wilson.gray at RCN.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Wilson Gray
Subject: Re: "come-to-Jesus meeting"

I know that feeling only too well. Once, I was chatting with a
younger colleague about cool places to hang out. I told him that
there was a place in town so hip that, on its oldies jukebox, it had
the original *black-American* version of "I'm Into Something Good"
and not the years-later Brit cover by Herman & The Hermits and
awaited his amazed reaction. When his only response was "Uh-huh," it
suddenly struck me that this kid's parents probably didn't meet till
a couple of years after the time period that I was discussing. Hence,
he had no clue as to what I was babbling about. Now I let
quarter-century-old children tell *me* what's fresh.

-Wilson