Camp Phrases (1861); City Nicknames (1889)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Mar 18 10:12:00 UTC 2005

A few notes before another day of my life wasted on parking tickets...OT: I
had dinner at (Todd) English Is Italian (Third Avenue and 49th Street) last
night. They kept bringing courses--$39 prix fixe. I had to tell the wait-person
 that I wasn't expecting my ex-wife, Kirstie Alley.
LOS ANGELES TIMES--The 1969 additions appear to be Sept.-December. Not much
movement here in about five months. Very frustrating.
CHICAGO TRIBUNE--It looks like a few years in the 1850s and 1860s were
added, and then it jumps to 1890.
(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
_CAMP  PHRASES._
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=0&did=581847592&SrchMode=1&sid=56&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1111138126&clientI
d=65882)
Chicago Tribune (1860-1872). Chicago,  Ill.: Nov 11, 1861. p. 0_2 (1 page)
CAMP PHRASES. An enterprising publisher might make money by getting up a
camp dictionary, for the benefit of those who visit the army, and are mystified
by the extraordinary words and phrases used. The word "arms" has been
distorted  into "umm," brought forcibly forth like the last groan of a dying cat; and
in  place of "march" we hear "utch." A tent is jocularly termed "the canvas,"
a  sword is a "toad sticker," and any of the altered patterns of muskets are
known  as "howitzers." Mess beef is "salt horse," coffee is "boiled rye,"
vegetables  are "cow feed," and butter "strong grease." "Bully" is the highest
terms of  commendation, while dissent is expressed in the remark, "I don't see
it." Almost  every regiment has its nickname, and few officers or privates
receive their  legal appellations or titles when spoken of in their absence. The
Massachusetts  men have christened their Governor, nor have his "military family"
escaped their  _nome-de-guerre_, one or two of which are decidedly
uncomplimentary, through  laugh-provoking.
(HDAS has 1874 for "howitzer"--ed.)
_NICKNAMES  OF CITIES.; What You May Call a Place by When You Do Not Want to
Call It by Its  Name. _
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=41&did=563464792&SrchMode=1&sid=57&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1111139359&
clientId=65882)
Boston Daily Globe (1872-1960). Boston,  Mass.: Aug 25, 1889. p. 17 (1 page)
Aberdeen, Scotland, Granite City.
Alexandria, Egypt, Delta City.
Akron, O., Summit CIty.
Athens, Greece, City of the Violet Crown.
Baltimore, Md., Monumental City.
Birmingham, O., Bran Town.
Boston, Mass., Puritan City; Modern Athens; Hub of the Universe; City of
Notions; Athens of America; The Hub.
Brooklyn, N.Y., City of Churches.
Buffalo, N.Y., Queen City of the Lakes.
Baalbec, Syria, City of the Sun.
Cairo, Egypt, City of Victory.
Cincinnati, O., Queen City; Porkoplis; Queen of the West; Paris of  America.
Chicago, Ill., Garden City.
Cleveland, O., Forest City.
Cork, Ire., Dirsh-ren City.
Dayton, O., Gem City.
Detroit, Mich., City of the Straits.
Edinburgh, Scot., Maiden Town; Northern Athens; Modern Athens; Athens of  the
North.
Gibraltar, Key of the Mediterranean.
Hannibal, Mo., Bluff City.
Havanna, Cuba, Pearl of the Antilles.
Indianapolis, Ind., Railroad City.
Jerusalem, Palestine, City of Peace; City of the Great King.
Keokuk, Iowa, Gate City.
Louisville, Ky., Falls City.
Limerick, Ire., City of the Violated Treaty.
Lowell, Mass., City of Spindles; Manchester of America.
London, England, City of Masts; Modern Babylon.
Lynchburg, Va., Hill City.
Milan, Italy, Little Paris.
Nashville, Tenn., City of Rocks.
New Haven, Conn., City of Elms.
New Orleans, La., Crescent City.
New York, N.Y., Gotham; Empire City; Metropolitan City.
Philadelphia, Penn., Quaker City; City of Brotherly Love; City of  Homes.
Pittsburg, Penn., Iron City; Smoky City; Birmingham of America.
Portland, Me., Forest City.
Paterson, N.J., Lyons of America.
Rome, Italy, Eternal City; Nameless City; Queen of Cities; Seven Hilled
City; Mistress of the World.
Rochester, N.Y., Flour City.
St. Louis, Mo., Mound City.
San Francisco, Cal., Golden City.
Salem, Mass., City of Peace.
Salt Lake City, Utah, City of the Saints.
Springfield, Ill., Flower City.
Streator, Ill., City of the Woods.
Sodom and Gomorrah, Cities of the Plain.
Toledo, O., Corn City.
Venice, Italy, Bride of the Sea.
Washington, D.C., City of Magnificent Distances.
Winnipeg, Man., Gate City of the Northwest.
Xenia, O., Twine City.
Zanesville, O., City of Natural Advantages.