Refrigerator = jail?

Fri Mar 18 19:11:04 UTC 2005

Dennis Preston:

>Is this "jocular hypercorrection" from 'cooler'? Do we have other
>examples of jocular hypercorrection.

Matthew Gordon:

> intenstinal fortitude

Page Stephens:

>Which brings up the old story about Dizzy Dean who was once reputed to
>have said when he broadcast Cardinal games something like, "The reason
>that ... is so good is that he has guts. Now I know that some of you
>school marms out there may not like my use of the word 'guts' so I will
>put it in other terms. The reason ... is so good is because he has
>testicle fortitude."

There was a long thread here recently on intestinal/testicular fortitude
<http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A1=ind0503a&L=ads-l#106>, but
the Dizzy Dean anecdote never came up.  Dickson's Baseball Dictionary has
the anecdote (with "testicle fortitude"), and it's mentioned here:

http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseballlibrary/features/experts/09_20_00.stm

--Ben Zimmer