"gook" (rhymes with "book")

sagehen sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM
Sat Mar 19 04:04:57 UTC 2005

>At 7:48 PM -0500 3/18/05, sagehen wrote:
>>Leaving aside "gook" and all the other /-oo-/ words -- like roof & root --
>>that can go either way, I find that /k/ seems to be the most U-inspiring
>>letter of the alphabet. I can come up off the top of my head with about 40
>>/-oo-/ words  that sound the vowel as in "food." Only one of them ("spook")
>>has a /k/.
>
>How about "kook"?  Maybe that gets an /u/ because it derives (by
>clipping) from "kookie".  "Mook" (short for "Mookie", proper name) is
>certainly so analyzable.
>
>Larry
~~~~~~~~~
Yeah, forgot that one.  There's also a character named Sookie that I see
allusions to on the mystery lit list that I assume is a /u/.
I'm sure there are others, too (stook, perhaps, though I think that goes
both ways). It wasn't so much the paucity of /k/s in the the FOOD list as
the preponderance of /k/s in the GOOD list that surprised me.