McKean, Sheidlower, Barrett, Kleinedler in NY Times; "Hot Dog" never to appear

bapopik at AOL.COM bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Mar 19 06:49:20 UTC 2005

McKEAN, SHEIDLOWER, BARRETT, KLEINEDLER IN NEW YORK TIMES

Jeez, I'm doing parking tickets ten hours a day and didn't have time to
walk five blocks to the library during my lunch hour to check my e-mail
and the newspapers. No one points this out? No one reads the New York
Times?

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/19/arts/19dict.html
CHICAGO - Erin McKean answered the door to her brick apartment building
in the Lincoln Square neighborhood here wearing a casual outfit
accented by bright, pink-framed glasses and a pair of beat-up
black-and-white Converse sneakers. She led a visitor down the wending
stairs to her basement office, where she proceeded to sit down - or
rather bounce - on a black exercise ball.

"Drink?" she asked. She brought the beverage in a neon-blue glass.

Might Ms. McKean be an escapee from a local version of Cirque du
Soleil? A young woman in the throes of suspended adolescence?

Hardly. She is one of the youngest editors in chief of one of the "Big
Five" American dictionaries: At 33, she is in charge of the Oxford
American Dictionary. (The others are American Heritage,
Merriam-Webster, Webster's New World and Encarta.) She was appointed
last year, and the first Oxford dictionary created under her auspices
will hit stores next month. And she is not alone. Ms. McKean is part of
the next wave of top lexicographers who have already or may soon take
over guardianship of the nation's language, and who disprove Samuel
Johnson's definition of a lexicographer as "a harmless drudge."

They include Steve Kleinedler, 38, who is second in command at American
Heritage and has a phonetic vowel chart tattooed across his back; Grant
Barrett, 34, project editor of The Historical Dictionary of American
Slang, whom Ms. McKean describes as looking as if he'd just as soon fix
a car as edit a dictionary; and Peter Sokolowski, 35, an associate
editor at Merriam-Webster and a professional trumpet player. Jesse
Sheidlower, 36, editor at large of the Oxford English Dictionary, is
best known among the group so far, partly because he is also editor of
"The F-Word," a history of that vulgar term's use in English. He is
known for his bespoke English suits, too.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"HOT DOG," NEVER TO APPEAR IN THE NEW YORK TIMES

David Shulman died in November. His obituary mentioned a forthcoming
book on the "hot dog" with Gerald Cohen and Barry Popick.

Well, the book's out. I asked Jerry to send a copy to Florence
Fabricant of the Times food section. She gives blurbs on food products
and books and goings on. I'll try to explain this in Tonto English. HOT
DOG--NEW YORK--FOOD.

Nothing. No response.

"Hot dog." This is a well-known food. It's a New York food and a New
York story. The New York Times runs a food section every week. Sundays,
too.

What are they waiting for? David Shulman's already dead. Gerald Cohen
to die? Me to die? Will I have to wait until 2017 (twelve years) like I
did with the Big Apple? Do they review restaurants for the first time
two decades after they open?

So I wrote to the newspaper's Public Editor. You know, I've had great
success with these guys, especially with the Chicago Tribune. They
respond to the public. If you tell them that your work is plagiarized
and they printed stuff you never said, the public editors really listen
to you and respond. They really care about printing timely, important,
accurate news.

And the NY Times Public Editor replied that they get so many books,
they can't review every book, blah blah blah. A form letter. I could
have written that.

The Times is a lot kinder to restaurants. Every big name restaurant
gets reviewed right away. Even a small, ridiculous hole-in-the-wall
that sells goddamn dumplings gets reviewed the week it opens, or gets a
blurb, or gets SOMETHING. But if you solve the "hot dog," something
that's not done every day, by anyone, actually, well, it's already ten
years ago, hell, they're never going to print it! Never! NEVER! We're
the Times! You solved the Big Apple? The hot dog? Fuck you!

And it's like this every day of my life, and it never gets better.

(E-MAILS)

Attached Message