Reno--Biggest Little City in the World (1910)

bapopik at AOL.COM bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Mar 21 06:33:41 UTC 2005

I've decided to add "Biggest Little City" to my "Big Apple" website. I was typing for an hour, citing dozens of other "biggest little cities," and then I pressed the "Y!" button on Newspaperarchive and it wrote over my typed page and all my notes were destroyed.

Newspaperarchive gets some Reno newspapers. Was this coined (for Reno) in 1910? The American Heritage Dictionary of Quotations has "The biggest little city in the world.--ANONYMOUS, saying, pre-1960." Duh.

(NEWSPAPERARCHIVE)
30 June 1910, Reno (NV) Evening Gazette, pg. 4, col. 1:
As Jim Coffroth said upon his return to San Francisco after a day spent in the Veada metroplis: "Reno is the biggest little city in the world," which is just what Reno has been saying for many years.

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
RENO--The Biggest Little City
JOHN F NESS. Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.: Feb 8, 1931. p. K18 (1 page)