Canadian usage

David Bowie db.list at PMPKN.NET
Mon Mar 21 13:19:38 UTC 2005

From:    "Arnold M. Zwicky" <zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU>

> over on the newsgroup sci.lang, there's a thread on "Canadian usage"
> that dismays me.  it's another one of those searches for a *language
> essence*, in this case what is truly canadian -- shared generally by
> canadians and not shared with other groups...

<snip for bandwidth>

> the problem is that this is *sci.lang*, and the participants are
> supposed to know something about language...

sci.lang is an unmoderated newsgroup, and is therefore, nearly by
definition, pretty much a pointless read.

I pop in once in a while in the hopes that it'll be worthwhile, but the
Esperanto and spelling reform wars drive me away pretty quickly every time.

<snip>

A sci.lang.moderated, OTOH--which i am *not* (nor will i ever)
volunteering to moderate--could be interesting.

--
David Bowie                                         http://pmpkn.net/lx