State of Youth Slang In France

Joanne M. Despres jdespres at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM
Mon Mar 21 14:29:12 UTC 2005

I've heard Dominican women of the same age, speaking in English,
call each each other "mi'ja" (a contraction of "mi hija," meaning
"my daughter") as a term of endearment; in fact, I've heard them
address their own mother with the word!  Can't say I've heard
Dominican men/boys use "mi'jo" to each other, but I don't happen
to be acquainted with any bilingual Dominican men.  I know that
Dominicans often call each other "mami" and "papi" as a term of
endearment, regardless of age and relationship (witness "Big
Papi," the nickname given to David Ortiz of the Boston Red Sox).
But as far as I know, none of these terms is used across gender
boundaries.  All of which is to say, I guess, that Spanish family
relationship terms are frequently generalized to terms of
endearment by Dominicans, which may help to explain the
phenomenon Grant observed, though it doesn't explain the gender-
bending  aspect of the usage.

Joanne Despres