Student eggcorns

David Bowie db.list at PMPKN.NET
Tue Mar 22 12:50:51 UTC 2005

I'll readily admit that I'm still not entirely clear on the boundaries
between eggcorns and other related items, but here's a couple from a
student paper, both on the very first page. The beauty of these is that
they're both spell-check-proof, too.

The first one:

"UCF students come from a variety of diverse *back rounds* and ethnicities."

The other one--though i'm not sure if this is an eggcorn or building a
new verb:

"As *I fore mentioned*, my study began with <clip a horrible misuse of
"random" in a statistical context>..."

Like i said, there's a couple ways of analyzing that one--either "I fore
mentioned" (with /aj/-monophthongization) from "aforementioned", or
"fore mentioned" as a verb backformed from "aforementioned" (with a
space added to satisfy the spell-check routine).

--
David Bowie                                         http://pmpkn.net/lx