re-ogling

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Mar 23 01:32:03 UTC 2005

I don't know if I'd have noticed it before last week, but the reader
of my current Audiobook (Sue Grafton's _R is for Richochet_ just
observed:

"The guy was so busy ogling her, he nearly dropped the car keys"

--with "ogling" pronounced [aglIng] as in "goggling".  In fact, now
that I think of it, I wonder if "goggle" might not be one of the
factors contributing to the "oggle" pronunciation, despite the
difference in orthography, the way Barney Google might contribute to
the "oogling" variant.

And on a different topic, did anyone else who saw this headline in
Sunday's N. Y. Times have trouble coming up with the right
interpretation first time through?

Bomb Kills 3 Iraqi Policemen in Procession

Larry