"Great minds think alike"

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Mar 23 21:21:49 UTC 2005

Newspaperarchive.com has an example from the Paxton Weekly Record of
24 Dec. 1874, in which it is described as an adage.

--
Michael Quinion
Editor, World Wide Words

No one reads the archives? No one? Boy, am I depressed. No one recognizes
what I do. If I gave away the same free cars that Oprah did, people wouldn't like
the color.
Again, from the ADS-L archives:

   The OED Appeals List has "great minds think alike," out-of-order under
"mind."  It needs an antedate of 1873.
   Is there some guy bagging groceries at Wal-Mart twelve hours a day doing
all OED's science terms?...Wright American Fiction (where this is from) will
be
down from 8 a.m. until noon on Friday.

(WRIGHT AMERICAN FICTION)
Print Source:   Was she engaged?
Jonquil,
Philadelphia : J.B. Lippincott, 1871.
Pg. 234:  "By Jove, old fellow, you have hit it  How did you know so well
what I was going to day?  Ah!  I know now!  'Great minds think alike,' is the
old
saying."