A Diller, A Dollar (1955) (continued)

Fri Mar 25 20:50:34 UTC 2005

        [somebody:]
>>>  If at first you don't succeed, slide for second.

        [Bill Mullins:]
>>If at first you don't succeed, suck suck suck til you do succeed.

        [Larry Horn:]
>I recall "If at first you don't succeed, quit."

What's the source of this one?:

        If at first you don't succeed
        Slash your wrists and watch them bleed.
        When concerned and in great doubt
        Wave your arms and run about.

-- Mark, thinking of Mad Magazine, Edward Gorey, Gelett Burgess, Tom Lehrer,
and similar sources, of whom only Lehrer seems plausible for this one
[This text prepared with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.]