A Diller, A Dollar (1955) (continued)

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Fri Mar 25 22:15:34 UTC 2005

On Mar 24, 2005, at 11:38 AM, Mullins, Bill wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Mullins, Bill" <Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL>
> Subject:      Re: A Diller, A Dollar (1955) (continued)
> --------
>
> Variants from a misspent youth:
>
>> If at first you don't succeed, slide for second.
>
> If at first you don't succeed, suck suck suck til you do succeed.
>
>> You can lead a horse to water,
>> But you cannot make him drink.
>> You can send a fool to college,
>> But you cannot make him think.
>
> You can lead a horticulture [whore to culture]
> but you can't make her think.
>
>> April Fool,
>> Go to school,
>> Tell your teacher,
>> She's a fool.
>
> Trick or treat, smell my feet,
> Give me something good to eat.
>
>> I made you look,
>> I made you look,
>> I made you buy a penny book.
>
> ....Made you read a story book.

I made you look
You dirty crook
You stole your mama's pocketbook.

>> Fatty, fatty,
>> Two by four,
>> Swinging on the kitchen door.
>
> ....Couldn't get through the bathroom door. (I got in trouble in
> elementary school for saying this to a girl).
>
>> My name's West,
>> I ain't in this mess.
>
> From the movie "Pulp Fiction":
> "Hey, my name's Paul and this shit's between y'all." (Said by a
> character named Paul)
> I always assumed it was just some clever dialogue from Quentin
> Tarantino, now I'm not so sure.

My name's Wes.
Leave me out this mess.

My name's Bob.
I ain't doin' this job.

Make like Ezzard
And hit the desert.

Step out on the patio,
Daddio.

To paraphrase Jimmy Durante, "They got a million of 'em." Note that I'm
using "they got" in its non-standard meaning of "there are."

-Wilson Gray