Quotative [to be] + "that"

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Sat Mar 26 23:15:50 UTC 2005

On Mar 26, 2005, at 12:15 AM, Arnold M. Zwicky wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Arnold M. Zwicky" <zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Quotative [to be] + "that"
> --------
>
> On Mar 25, 2005, at 7:38 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>
>> I agree with you in principle, Arnold, but the structure you're
>> attempting to validate and explain seems to require many more exx. -
>> particularly, as Peter says, plural exx. in a single discourse -
>> simply to confirm its existence.  Exx. of "is is" are everywhere in
>> speech, but I'm not sure at all that the existence of this putative
>> "new structure" is similarly well established.
>
> exx. of "is is" are indeed everywhere in speech.  but linguists have
> denied this on the basis of their recollections.  when pat mcconvell
> reported examples of "is is" on the Linguist List, someone replied that
> that might be so elsewhere but she'd never heard any such thing in
> australian english, and mcconvell (an australian) noted that virtually
> all his examples *were* from australian english, where the construction
> could be heard all the time.

FWIW, the fact that I'm an "is is" speaker was pointed out to me by
Phil LeSourd of the Dept. of Anthro, at Indiana. This was in 1977, when
he and I were roommates. At first, I refused to believe that this "'is
is" was a feature of my idiolect, since I had never heard myself use
such ungrammatical syntax. When I use ungrammatical English, it's on
purpose and I'm fully aware of it. However, after a couple of hours of
having Phil point out each occurrence of my use of "is is," I was
forced to admit that "'is is" *is* a feature of my idiolect. Until I'd
read of other instances of "is is" posted here, I thought that I was
the only "is is" speaker on the face of the earth. I exaggerate, of
course. In truth, I'd never given it a second thought till it began to
be discussed here.

Hey, you think maybe I'm, like, the originator of this anomaly? ;-)

-Wilson Gray