"Prophesize" Not in the Dictionaries

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Mar 27 01:27:57 UTC 2005

Q.  Can it be that "prophesy" and "prophesize / prophecize" are synonyms as close as "gorse" and "furze"?

A.  Perhaps - but "gorse" and "furze" remain more interesting because they derive from entirely different etyma.

JL

Fred Shapiro <fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Fred Shapiro
Subject: Re: "Prophesize" Not in the Dictionaries

Jesse Sheidlower has pointed out that "prophecize" is in OED (I hadn't
looked under that spelling). Sorry for the error. Now I've joined David
Shulman, who frequently proclaimed that he had gotten "snowman" into the
dictionaries despite the fact that it had long been in many dictionaries.

Fred Shapiro

Fred R. Shapiro Editor
Associate Librarian for Collections and YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS
Access and Lecturer in Legal Research Yale University Press,
Yale Law School forthcoming
e-mail: fred.shapiro at yale.edu http://quotationdictionary.com