"Peace Sign" (1900); Chocolate Sprinkles & Broadway Flip Sundae

bapopik at AOL.COM bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Mar 28 02:45:50 UTC 2005

PEACE SIGN

ProQuest, then AOL have been down for a while. I guess I can't send the photo of this to ADS-L, but it's available by request.

An early version of the "peace sign"--probably meaning, as stated before,
"let's go swimming"--is in FRECKLES AND TAN by R. C. Bowman, published by Alfred
Bartlett, Boston, 1900.

CHOCOLATE SPRINKLES & BROADWAY FLIP

WHERE DID BARRY POPIK EAT ON SATURDAY?--CUNY Graduate Center, 34th Street and Fifth Avenue. There was a cheese tasting of NYS & Vermont cheeses. Liz from Murray's Cheese on Bleecker was there, as was Margo True, editor of SAVEUR. (The April 2005 SAVEUR is about Cheese.)

WHERE DID BARRY POPIK EAT ON SUNDAY?--Pete's Place (not Pete's Tavern!), 256 Third Avenue and East 21st Street. The perfect place to watch NCAA basketball games that NEVER END!

http://www.addyourown.com/restaurant.php?rest_id=426&cat_id=1&city_id=1
Watch TV at the counter if you want to chat with the owners. Lots of specials will really fill you up if you need a square meal inexpensively. --Gramercy Resident

On the wall of Pete's Place is the menu of a former store, the Gramercy Sweet Shop. I was told it's from the "1920s," and the presence of "chop suey sundae" and the prices seem to indicate that:

BANAN ROYAL...30
BANANA SPLIT...25
ANOLA (?--ed.) SUNDAE...20
NABISCO SUNDAE...20
CHOCOLATE SPRINKLE SUNDAE...20
CHOP SUEY SUNDAE...20
PINEAPPLE TEMPTATION...20
BROADWAY FLIP...20
ICE CREAM SODAS
ALL FLAVORS...10
FRENCH ICE CREAM SODA...15

What is a "Broadway flip"? See the article below, but the prices there are 40 cents a serving!

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
Real Ice Cream Parlor Is Still Thriving in City
By CRAIG CLAIBORNE. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Jun 21, 1965. p. 24 (1 page) :
"THose doors" are the entrance to the Becker and Citarella confectionery at 548 West 207th Street. To pass beneath them is to be transported to an ice cream parlor from the ealy years of the century.
(...)
In the room to the rear are marble-topped tables and a notice on the wall of the frozen specialties of the house. These include Broadway Flip, Lover's Delight, Pineapple Temptation and Marshmallow Sundae, and the cost is about 40 cents a serving.

"As far as I know," Chris Becker, one of the owners, said, "this ice cream parlor has been here since the building was built and that was in 1913 or 1914. I first came here when it was called Broger and Lewessen. They owned a lot of ice cream parlors in Manhattan."

(NEWSPAPERARCHIVE)
6 February 1923, Hammond (Ind.) <i>Times</i>, pg. 7, col. 8 ad:
Savery's Candy Shoppe
BROADWAY
FLIP
SUNDAE
20c

MISC. WHERE DID BARRY POPIK EAT?

I left out these other restaurants of recent visits:

AMMA, East 51 Street and Second Avenue--Overpriced Indian.

MELTEMI, First Avenue and East 52 Street--Excellent Greek seafoood place. Draws a crowd from the U.N.

MOLYVOS, Seventh Avenue and West 55 Street--Good Greek place, but I enjoyed Meltemi much more. I jhad come after another 10-hour parking ticket waste of my life and just missed the pre-theatre special (to 7:30 p.m.), which is what to get here.

VON SINGH'S, Eighth Street near 6th Avenue
LASSI, Greenwich Street near 6th Avenue--These are two new hole-in-the-wall Indian places. I can't say I'm crazy about either of them, but Lassi (northern Indian) seems a bit more authentic and Indian. Von Singh's seems like a California veggie place, with Americanized names for the food.

APPLE RESTAURANT, Waverly Place near Broadway--Probably good for its bar. No reason to eat here with Gobo around.