documentate!!

Mon Mar 28 18:32:26 UTC 2005

Laurence Horn wrote:

> Isn't "orientate" more or less standard usage in the U.K.?  I seem to
> have heard that claim at some point.

That's so. It's the standard form for me, to the extent that "orient"
sounds a little odd.

On the matter of eggcorns, a subscriber wrote today to say, "Over the
past week leading up to Easter, I've seen three separate instances of
the word 'crucifiction.'" He wondered whether this showed a sceptical
attitude to religion or was a mistake. My money's on the latter.

--
Michael Quinion
Editor, World Wide Words