noviciate

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Mar 29 20:06:07 UTC 2005

Actually, OED shows "noviciate" as one spelling since the 1500s ( as in its primary citation).
And the word does have a needless history in this sense going back 250 years.

But I still think the spelling here is hypercorrectional orthography, or orthographical hypercorrection, as the case may be.

JL

Grant Barrett <gbarrett at WORLDNEWYORK.ORG> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Grant Barrett
Subject: Re: noviciate

That reminds me of the term "jargonese": the word "jargon" alone must
not sound bafflegabby enough to some people. No hits yet on
jargonesespeak, though. (FYI, "jargonese" shows up in OED online in a
1985 quote from the London Times at "daysack" but does not yet have an
entry of its own there.)

Grant Barrett
gbarrett at worldnewyork.org