jargonese (1957)

Tue Mar 29 22:28:58 UTC 2005

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 17:17:05 -0500, Barnhart <barnhart at HIGHLANDS.COM> wrote:

>Edward Clark’s [Kingston College] translation of “peasantry” as “those
>who by socio-economic standards are graded as belonging to the stratum
>of the community depending on pastroro-agricultural pursuits for a
>livelihood” is, in my opinion, first-class jargonese.
>Thomas Wright, “Get It Straight,” The Daily Gleaner [Kingston, Jamaica],
>March 2, 1957, p 6

JSTOR's got it back to 1940...

-----
The author's single eye for organization allows to pass into the text many
trite and fuzzy lumps of jargonese he probably would never acccept from a
student.

Review: Technical Reports
Author(s) of Review: A. M. Fountain
Reviewed Work(s): Writing the Technical Report by J. Raleigh Nelson
College English > Vol. 1, No. 8 (May, 1940), pp. 717-718
Stable URL:
http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0010-0994%28194005%291%3A8%3C717%3ATR%3E2.0.CO%3B2-0
-----

--Ben Zimmer