A Diller, A Dollar (1955) (continued)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Mar 30 23:54:52 UTC 2005

I learned the "or not" "rule" as a stylistic recommendation rather than a prescriptive grammatical pronouncement.  It might have been in one of Theodore Bernstein's books back in the mid '60s.

JL

Wilson Gray <wilson.gray at RCN.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Wilson Gray
Subject: Re: A Diller, A Dollar (1955) (continued)

On Mar 31, 2005, at 7:46 PM, Robert Fitzke wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: Robert Fitzke
> Subject: Re: A Diller, A Dollar (1955) (continued)
> --------
>
> My folks used to have some of Bing's stuff. I don't remember ever
> hearing
> him do "Shine" but I do have a recollection of a multiple 78 disc set
> that
> was some kind of historical/patriotic thing in which he sings/talks
> about
> "We are endowed by our Creator wioth certain inalienable rights and
> among
> these rights ate LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS". I can
> still
> hear it my head. Also there were references to Chaim (?) Solomon and
> other
> Revolutionary figures. Stirring stuff to a kid in his single digits. I
> used
> to think Bing was somewhat square until I heard him do some stuff with
> Louis
> and then Ella. That changed my views. I also suspect he recognized the
> in-your-face lyrics of Shine when he did his version.
>
> Bob

That Der Bingle made a version of "Shine" with the Mills Brothers is
just something that I read in a message posted on some Web site in
Sweden. (No, I can't read Swedish. Fortunately, Swedes can write in
English.) I can't vouch for the accuracy of the claim. It sounds like
BS to me. I'm sorry that I didn't make that clear. FWIW, the date of
the Crosby/Mills Brothers version was given as 1924.

"Where the blue of the night
"Meets the gold of the day,
"Someone waits for me."

For some reason, I ain't never dug me no whole lot of Louis Armstrong.
However, Ella is another matter. For many years, my favorite Ella song
was "Wubba Dolly." This may have been the B side of "A-tiskit
A-tasket." I was very young, at the time. I remember for certain that
we had both songs, but I can't recall whether they were on different
platters or not.

I recall learning a prescriptive rule to the effect that "or not" is
not to be used in conjunction with "whether," because "or not" is
redundantly implied by the use of "whether" or some such justification.
Does anyone else recall having to learn such a rule a rule?

>>> lemonade. Laine's version changes "Takes trouble...." to "Always take