Re:       Re: proof-reading fun

Thu Mar 31 19:24:18 UTC 2005

In a message dated 3/31/05 2:00:52 PM, laurence.horn at YALE.EDU writes:

> That's a frequently reported eggcorn as well.  In fact, one might
> expect errors in voice recognition to track eggcorns fairly well.
>
> Larry

The difference being that there has to be some kind of semantic relationship
between the target and the misperceptioon to make the eggcorn work reasonably
well, right? Whereas misperceptions in speech (NOT the same thing as "errors
in voice recognition," by the way!!!!) can jump entirely off the semantic track
(e.g., "I always used to rather enjoy the big floppy disks" perceived as "
... dicks").