G. Barrett & G. Thompson; Dennis Lebofsky's "Lexicon of Philadelphia Metropolitan Area" (1970)

bapopik at AOL.COM bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon May 2 02:39:31 UTC 2005

GRANT BARRETT & GEORGE THOMPSON
Anyone seen Grant Barrett or George Thompson? What are they working on? Anyone know anything about the old ADS-L archives?
THE LEXICON OF THE PHILADELPHIA METROPOLITAN AREA
by Daniel Stanley Lebofsky
A dissertation presented to the faculty of Princeton University in candidacy for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy
January 1970
I looked through this at the NYPL, but had only a few minutes (Sunday hours). No cites in OED? No cites in DARE? No cites in HDAS?
I added "seven o'clockers" from this book to my website.
It seems pretty good for slang and for food, but the author doesn't provide historical citations. My copies are very light and I can hardly read the page numbers.
Pg. ?: Mischief night, mystery night, devil's watch, soap night, chalk night
Pg. ?: Scrapple, ponhaus, pancake, hotcake, flannel cake, fritter, griddle cake, flapjack, batter cake, flourcake, plank cake, buckwheat cake, johnnycake
Pg. ?: Cottage cheese, smearcase, curd(s), bonnyclabber, pot cheese
Pp. ?: Bugjuice, black cow, meatcake, black and white milkshake, fish house punch, snapper soup, pepper pot soup, pepper pot lady, pulled bread, white mountain cake, o=poor man's cake, depression cake, scotchcake, pig's ears, George Washington cake, Martha Washington cake, Washington square, milkball, walking sundae, huckleberry, shoestrings, pinwheel, yellowjack, candy pie, taffy, mustard pretzel, babysnit, cinnamon bun, home fries, raw fries, fish dinner, goldenrod, hoagie

Pg. ?: Johnny Smoker
Pg. ?: She-note, she-bill, female bill, jinx note, whore note--two dollar bill
Pg. ?: Stephen Girard work
Pg. ?: Jungle bunny, chocolate bunny, burrhead, hardhead, hammerhead, rughead, nightfighter, psearchucker, hatchethead, rooster
Pg. ?: Close the shutters, draw the blinds--said to a woman sitting with her legs too far apart.
Pg. ?: It's snowing down south, your father loves you better than your mother, whitey's out of jail-- your slip is showing.
Pg. ?: See a man about a duck, make a river, drop a tear, go to an organ recital, check one's bicycle, drop a cookie, give a Chinaman a music lesson-- to go to the bathroom.
Pg. ?: Close the stable or the horse'll get out, who died--your flag is at half-mast, your lunch box is open, flies cause disease--keep yours closed, what do birds do?-- your fly is open.