Cold Feet

bapopik at AOL.COM bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue May 3 13:56:43 UTC 2005

GEORGE THOMPSON & GRANT BARRETT (AGAIN)
Are George Thompson and Grant Barrett working on new books?
When will the old ADS-L archives become available?
COLD FEET
All over the newspapers for day after day after day now is the "runaway bride" who got "cold feet."
..
This is not merely "cold feet" and each example must be checked. I don't have that kind of time today.
(OED)
cold feet, in colloq. (orig. U.S.) phr. to get (or have) cold feet, to become cowardly or discouraged; hence = fear, ‘funk’, cowardice;

1893 S. CRANE Maggie (1896) xiv. 112, I knew this was the way it would be. They got *cold feet. 1896 ADE Artie xii. 108 He's one o' them boys that never has cold feet. 1904 E. ROBINS Magn. North I. 8 But instead of ‘getting cold feet’ as the phrase for discouragement ran, and turning back, they determined [etc.]. 1914 ROSHER In R.N.A.S. (1916) 40, I get awfully cold feet... That puts the fear of God into you. 1915 ‘IAN HAY’ First Hundred Thou. xxi. 329 It seems that the enemy have evacuated Fosse Alley again. Nobody quite knows why: a sudden attack of cold feet, probably. 1962 Times 20 Feb. 11/2 The Algerian leadership might have cold feet at the concessions it has made.
Article 13 -- No Title
The Washington Post (1877-1954). Washington, D.C.: Mar 16, 1889. p. 4 (1 page)
IF PEOPLE would wear wooden sabots lined with straw they would never have cold feet, which fact accounts for so many people having cold feet.
NEWS BY SCISSORS.; Items Both Odd and Humorous Clipped from the Exchanges--A Towel of Past Generations. Bluebird "Harbingers of Springs." Benedicts, Attention! Case of Near-Sightedness. The Old Red Schoolhouse. Turtle Catches Fish With Tongue.
Boston Daily Globe (1872. Feb 1, 1891. p. 18 (1 page)
The bluebirds are singing every morning in the orchard of Deacon Erastus Hubbard of the station. They are the earliest birds of passage to come here, but it is early even for tehm. They will have cold feet, I fear, yet.
Display Ad 9 -- No Title
New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Nov 13, 1892. p. 8 (1 page)
(Shoe advertisement - ed.)
COLD FEET.; Suggestions as to Their Causes and Their Cures.
JOSEPH BISSELL. The Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Jan 8, 1893. p. 9 (2 pages)