BULLOCKS - euph/typo/LA pron.?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu May 5 02:40:56 UTC 2005

They knew it. But do they say it ?

JL

FRITZ JUENGLING <juengling_fritz at SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: FRITZ JUENGLING
Subject: Re: BULLOCKS - euph/typo/LA pron.?

My wife and kids, upon interrogation, said they know of the snack Poppycock (which I, being totally ignorant of pop culture, know nothing of). But they all knew the 'nonsense' meaning as well.
Fritz

>>> stalker at MSU.EDU 05/03/05 07:42PM >>>
Isn't there some kind of popcorn mix or candy named Poppycock?

Jim

Laurence Horn writes:

>> > wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM 05/03/05 08:48AM >>
>>
>>> One might cf. "poppycock," app. < Dutch for "dried-up dung," now rare in
>>> U.S.
>> >spoken English but otherwise often thought of as old-frashioned,
>> therefore stuffy, and >therefore virtually SE.
>>
>> "poppycock" rare in US spoken English? Poppycock!! Use it all the
>> time. But then again, maybe I'm the last holdout?
>> Fritz J
>
> Plus, isn't "papekak" soft dung/excrement rather than the dried-up
> variety? Any Dutch speakers on the list?
>
> Larry

James C. Stalker
Department of English
Michigan State University