Groucho Marx quotes (Never forget a face; Accept me as a member)

Thu May 5 07:29:45 UTC 2005

On Thu, 5 May 2005 03:04:35 -0400, bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

>The Wikipedia has a large selection of Groucho Marx quotes. These two
>are listed as "attributed." I don't know what Marxist material Fred
>Shapiro has.
>"ACCEPT ME AS A MEMBER"
>A Marxman's Targets; GROUCHO AND ME. By Groucho Marx. 344 pp. Published
>by Bernard Geis Associates. Distributed by Random House, New York. $3.95.
>By ABEL GREEN. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Sep
>13, 1959. p. BR18 (1 page) :
>He does revive the one about refusing membership in a Coast club on the
>ground that "any organization which would accept me as a member I don't
>want to belong to."

The actual quote in _Groucho and Me_ is the same as what's given on
Wikiquote:

"The following morning I sent the club a wire stating, PLEASE ACCEPT MY
RESIGNATION. I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT ME AS A
MEMBER."

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0306806665/?v=search-inside&keywords=resignation
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Groucho_Marx

--Ben Zimmer