Corporate Mottoes

Thu May 5 15:49:18 UTC 2005

>From Wikipedia:

 In 1953 Charles Erwin Wilson, then GM president, was named by
Eisenhower as Secretary of Defense. When he was asked, during the
hearings before the Senate Armed Services Committee if as secretary of
defense he could make a decision adverse to the interests of General
Motors, Wilson answered affirmatively but added that he could not
conceive of such a situation "because for years I thought what was good
for the country was good for General Motors and vice versa." Later this
statement was often garbled when quoted, suggesting that Wilson had said
simply, "What's good for General Motors is good for the country."