BULLOCKS > Donder

FRITZ JUENGLING juengling_fritz at SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US
Fri May 6 20:34:08 UTC 2005

Yes, that is very odd.  I'm sure, though ,that if we looked long and hard enough, we'd  find some dialect with 'donder' along the border.
I didn't check out 'blitz', but the original form was with /k/, which got changed to /t/ before /s/. So it was in OHG and MHG.  So, it's possible that 'Bliksen' was still available in some dialect to the author.  Dutch also had (has in some dialects?) 'bliksen.'  OHG sometimes had /m/ where we now have /n/.  Would really need more investigation to determine the /m/, though.
Fritz

>>> pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU 05/06/05 08:50AM >>>
--On Friday, May 6, 2005 8:38 AM -0700 FRITZ JUENGLING