Bikini etymology uncovered

Sat May 7 03:28:56 UTC 2005

Boyan Nikolaev's cross-posted query a few months ago about the etymology
of "Bikini" has finally been answered by Bob Kennedy on his linguistics
blog: <http://biloklok.blogspot.com/2005/04/bi-in-bikini.html>.

Latinate _bi-_ doesn't have anything to do with it, unsurprisingly.  The
Marshallese toponym _Pikinni_ [pikinniy] is composed of _pik_ 'surface' +
_ni_ 'coconut'.

(Via the Language Hat and Literal-Minded blogs.)

--Ben Zimmer